Policy

Dems Worry Golden Dome Will Launch Arms Race

President Donald Trump making a Golden Dome announcement in the Oval Office. Image: Joyce N. Boghosian/White House

Senior DoD space officials on Tuesday said Golden Dome will provide increased deterrence against the growing capabilities of near-peer adversaries such as China, while promoting peace through strength.

But some Democrats wondered: Will it actually just be a really expensive opening volley in a new arms race?

Build up: Air Force Secretary Troy Meink told members of the House Armed Services Committee that he believes the missile defense system ordered by a Trump administration executive order will reduce the chance of a missile attack by Russia or China.

However, Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA), the top Democrat on the panel, worried it could be “incredibly destabilizing” without a solid strategy. And Rep. Seth Moulton (D-MA) predicted it would actually increase the risk of conflict. 

“It would be helpful to…understand how our adversaries are going to respond because a more logical response would be for them to develop ways to get around Golden Dome,” he said. “If we’re going to put something up in the sky for $500 billion and it just starts an arms race and then it doesn’t work because they can get around it, then that’s a massive waste of taxpayer dollars.”

Around the world: China has expressed its own worries that Golden Dome could kick off an arms race, and said it believes putting interceptors in orbit is a violation of the Outer Space Treaty. 

Russia and North Korea have also both been critical of the project, saying it threatens global strategic stability. 

Something is missing here: The wide ranging hearing touched on several fiscal 2026 priorities, including:

  • Support for DoD’s space acquisition workforce; 
  • The need to boost US launch capacity; 
  • The location of US Space Command (spoiler: Colorado reps want it to stay in Colorado);
  • The military’s recent success in tactically responsive launch.

However, one big thing was missing: a full budget. And members on both sides of the aisle weren’t shy about expressing their displeasure about the delay. 

“If we don’t get [the administration’s budget proposal], we’re going to write [appropriations bills] without it,” Rep. Michael Rogers (R-AL), the chair of the committee, said. 

Related Stories
EuropePolicy

ESA Secures Record Funding Levels at 2025 Council of Ministers

ESA member states approved €22.07B in total contributions covering the next three years of ESA operations—up from €16.9B in 2022.

MilitaryPolicy

SPACECOM Kicks Off Alabama Move with New Task Force

Defence Secretary Hegseth met with General Stephen Whiting last week to talk about how to fast-track the relocation of Space Command HQ from CO to AL.

PolarisPolicy

A Debate on the Wolf Amendment

Necessary national security safeguard, or out-of-touch barrier to communication with a leading space power? That was the question at the heart of a debate last week on whether the Wolf Amendment is still in America’s best interest, almost 15 years after it became law.

EuropeInternationalPolicy

US Echoes European Concerns on The EU Space Act

While the American perspective is often unwelcome in European policy debates, it seems this time may represent a rare exception.